NOWADAYS THEATRE Company is now accepting video auditions for the world premiere of PERSIMMON, a new feature length script by artistic director Mohammad Yaghoubi.
This will be an experimental production which will combine theatrical and film genres, producing two final products; a feature film and a Virtual Reality “Immersive” experience for audiences.
The project will be rehearsing and filming throughout the entire month of July, 2022 and will be operating under both Equity DOT and ACTRA LBG contracts. Equity and ACTRA members and non-members are invited to audition.
– Performers with theatre, movement, dance, and music backgrounds are encouraged.
– Actors speaking English with accents are very welcome.
Persimmon – World Premiere
Written and directed by Mohammad Yaghoubi
Rehearsals begin in July, 2022
Performs in late July, 2022
‘Persimmon’ is a meta-theatrical play that explores the conflict and recovery of four newcomers from different nationalities within the Canadian context. The story is about an Iranian woman and her son who have a house in North York, Toronto. They have rented their basement to a young Iraqi woman and her Chinese partner.
All the characters in ‘Persimmon’ speak English as a second language, and the new language is like a shelter for them to openly reveal their thoughts much more freely than in their mother tongues; because they don’t feel the words in English, they speak freely and express their thoughts with no filters.
– HEBA, a woman of thirty-one, from Iraq, a newcomer to Canada. She speaks Arabic a few times, which means an Arab (preferably Iraqi) actress who is fluent in Arabic is required to perform this role.
– SHENG, a man of thirty-five, a newcomer from China.
– MINOO, a woman of fifty-four, a newcomer from Iran. **Already Cast**
– NEEMA, a man of twenty-eight, a newcomer from Iran, MINOO’s son. He speaks Farsi a few times in this play, which means an Iranian actor who is fluent in Farsi is required for this role.
- If you are interested in auditioning, please fill out and submit the form below, and include the link in the form below. Links to Vimeo, Youtube or other hosting sites are fine. Please, no password protected files!
- Please submit your headshot, resume and a self tape of a 2-5 minute contemporary monologue of your choice.
- Deadline to submit: May 27, 2022.
For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.